Saturday, August 7, 2010

First, you need a place to keep your stuff...

What really started this was the economic problems in 2009. At my airport hangars rarely come available, and when they do they are quickly snapped up. In the Spring of 2009 several came up for sale and as each one sold I kicked myself. Finally I decided not to get left behind and in late 2009 agreed to purchase a hangar of my own. With a nod to George Carlin, I now had a place for my stuff.


The hangar walls were insulated but the floor was bare asphalt like the ramp outside. Before winter set in and while the hangar was empty I got the walls painted. Airless sprayers are FUN!!.


Over the winter I rented the space out, but when Spring came it was home improvement time.The first decision was what to do about the floor. The problems were that it was black and sucked up the light, and with a couple bad knees I knew working on asphalt was going to kill them. I thought about having a concrete floor put in but the co$t was prohibitive.

The original owner had laid some 1 1/8" plywood underlayment for his nose and main landing gear, and a friend suggested I just fill the rest of the hangar in with it. I thought he was out of his mind. Who ever heard of a hangar with a wood floor? But the more I thought about it the more it made sense. It turned out it would be a fraction of the cost of a concrete floor, and would be a natural cushion.

After doing a condensation test by taping a piece of plastic to the floor for a few days and finding none, we spent a week laying the floor, sanding it, and another couple weeks laying coats of varnish to seal it.


The blue tape along the base is where I wanted electrical outlets installed. I also splurged and bought some old movie posters for the walls, and a decent stereo system. 


A FAQ sheet and Heritage section. People still ask instead of reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment