Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Big Snip

Since i had all the wire bundles opened up, it was an opportunity to add labels to the wiring. Yes, this is an ancient label maker, I've since found out one roll of this heat shrink could have bought a new maker and a couple rolls of tape. (but it did make 1/8" heat shrink tubes, which the new one I've got on order does not.



Hopefully I'll never be reopening the bundles, but if I do, it will be easier to sort through them. I'll shrink them down later when I'm tying the bundles up.



More Adel clamps, these to run the wires under the radio rack to the left side of the panel. These are big ones for ease of installation, later I'll be replacing them with smaller ones that do not allow the wires to move. 



And it's time to check everything two, three times, and start cutting. 



Much nicer.



I've needed a way to make quick disconnects of wires, with the small amount of room behind the panel and size of some of the opening the standard, large plastic multi-connectors were not an option.  I'm not sure if there's any problem the VAF have not figured out, but it was suggested to just use d-sub connectors, wrapped in heat shrink. For some reason dsubs intimidated me, which meant it was something I needed to learn.




Yes, at 59 my eyes aren't 15/15 anymore, but those dubs are SMALL!!!



Warning lights all dressed up. Note that to fit through the hole they have to be staggered.
 


One persons suggestion was to put heat shrink around the connectors, then tie them off with wire lacing cord instead of heat shrinking them. 



When I got to adding the connectors to the landing gear warning system alert lights and its itty, bitty wires/mounting holes, the tie-off-heat-shrink method was impractical because of it's bulk.



I tried knife/handshake connectors, also far too bulky. Things were looking grim. 




The solution (again, tip of the balding head to VAF) was clear heat shrink, carefully shrunk with the tip of the soldering iron on each end to hold it in place.



You gotta be cautious with the iron, but not too cautious. If you stay too far away from the connector the wires can separate, something I would not have noticed had I not been using clear heat shrink (Clear heat shrink has become my new favorite invention.) and would have been a nightmare to troubleshoot.



In the meantime, the area under the radio where the landing gear and flap selector is was a wiring nightmare. It took 3 days. Wish I could figure out a way to make this into a separate panel and removable, if we end up redoing the panel again it will be solely to do so. TJ may may have an idea, and knowing him, will whip out a new panel in a matter of minutes. (Ok, maybe not minutes, but very quickly.) Actually since writing this I'm even more convinced that I need to make it removable, and think I know how. It won't look as nice, aesthetically, but if I don't and I need to make a repair in the future I'll either have to pull the entire panel, or swear a lot doing the repair.



There's a small terminal strip off the starter switch that feeds a few systems,



a visit to my old RC airplane toolbox yielded some 4-40 blind nuts to mount it with. 




I was deep into the landing gear sub-pane one day when someone yelled from the gate, asking to be let in. I was NOT having a good day and did not want to get distracted with someone who just wanted to banter and distract with the usual So when's it gonna fly? harharhar... comments. I yelled out the code (since they had called me by name), but a few minutes later heard a familiar voice saying "She's looking good, Steve.". I was delighted to see an old friend, Hal Beatty, who was one of my mentors at the Heritage Flight Museum and had retired last year. A bad day suddenly got better.



Hal was driving an old Ford he had just completed restoring. That's not a restoration, it's a work of art.



Ok, Power up again. I've got a small electrical glitch to chase (there always is) but so far it looks like I did all the other connections right.




One embarrassing thing happened, though. I had gone over what I thought was EVERY switch, checking that they were all Off, but missed the landing gear switch. I had the breaker pulled, and must have thought that was the switch, too, so after initial powerup I started turning systems on, one at a time. To my horror, as soon as I pushed in the gear cb the left main started retracting, but I was able to quickly yank it back out before it got too far. Luckily, a hangar neighbor was there, and we both were able to lift Osp up enough to allow the gear to reverse and get back down in the locked position. Jim laughed his ass off about it when I told him, had me check a couple things, and luckily there was no damage except to my wounded pride. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment