Sunday, August 8, 2010

Going vertical

With the majority of the wing complete it's time to add the leading edge sheeting, and that requires the wing to be moved off the sawhorses and into a vertical position. I tend to be a packrat when it comes to wood and I was able to make 2 stands out of the scrap I had laying around.



2 pieces of angle from Lowes will insert into the wing spars at the root attachment point, but they required a bit of trimming first.



But they mounted and were ready.



Yes, I held my breath a little as Einar and I lifted each wing up and rotated them vertical, then slipped them into their mounts.


Einar really puts the wide chord of the wings in perspective. The flaps/ailerons widen out another 4" so the tip chord is 46", the root chord is 76", 30' 10" span with an aspect ratio of 6.055 and 157 sq ft of wing for 1420 of weight.



"I dunno Gertrude, think it will fly?" "Maybe Heathcliff. We'll keep a close eye on this one."



I supported the tips with a piece of wood and secured it to the crate with a bungee. Probably should cushion it with a piece of scrap carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment