Wednesday, August 15, 2012

KeelGuard

While the skid plate is for the worst case, a KeelGuard is a strip of rubber with a strong adhesive used on boats to protect keels from abrasion on beaches. Again, others thought of this first and I'm only following in their wake.




Mark it out...



rough it up...



 use some elbow grease!!!



that's better.



Apply the primer,



And if you're lucky a couple fellow EAA members, Cynthia and Alan Snowie, wander by and get drafted into helping attach the 8', 4lb 11oz strip.Thanks for the help!!!!





Years ago Alan and I were involved in flying two 7/8 scale replica Nieuport 11 aircraft, built by the Noon Patrol of the Independence OR EAA Chapter 292. Between takeoff and touchdown it was a fine airplane, but during takeoff and landing it was the most unpleasant aircraft I've ever flown, and the only one I've ever gotten out of and kicked. It was only through luck that I never ground looped the thing, and after about 7 hours in the plane Alan and I went our separate ways. I learned a lot about taildragon flying in those hours, so it wasn't all bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment