Sunday, December 23, 2012

Still going...

We're setting records for rain up here, but the good news is the temperatures have mellowed out and I've been able to keep working after all.Trying to take advantage of the warmth, I got the turtledeck carpeted, but it turned into a lesson about how quickly efforts to save weight can be undone.

Tape up all the openings so the glue doesn't seep through



The turtledeck/engine pylon is a high vibration area, and I didn't want to have the carpet to debond from the turtledeck because of it. Laying the carpet glue down I developed a heavy hand, and indoor/outdoor glue is surprisingly heavy. Bad hand. Bad hand.




The carpet is a felt-like material I bought from PA, and with patience it's easy to mold around the compound curves.



I paid for the heavy hand in other ways. If you use too much glue it seeps through the carpet, but if you're careful you can dab it out with some lacquer thinner. If you really use too much glue and aren't careful you end up making it worse. It was far enough back inside the baggage area, instead of leaving well enough alone I decided to try to patch the carpet.

Oh well.....




After the glue dries pull the tape, and hot knife the openings for the pylon structure, fuel/electrical lines and the flap pushrod.



No comments:

Post a Comment