Friday, September 27, 2013

Test fitting

It is possible to work on the wings by myself, but each time I flipped one I was nervous as hell, and careful maneuvering and leverage was needed. Occasionally someone would stop by, and if it was someone I knew they're immeeditly put to work helping. If it was someone I didn't.... it was sometimes better to do it myself than take a chance with a stranger.

Despite the size and bulk of the wing they're surprisingly light, the stands add a considerable amount of weight right now. 



Laying the wings down was required to get to the trailing edge of the wing.




And my old nemesis of the wingtip finish was revisited. How much did I want to be obsessed on something that would hardly be seen?



Back from a trip one day I was dragging but wanted to get something done, so I hooked up the beacon just for laughs. Aveo RedBaron LED mini-beacon.




With the covering finished I decided to mount the control surfaces, see if there were any fit problems now before painting.





Grrr..... the wingtip-aileron gap is off by 1/16". Too late to do anything about it now, probably the wingtip skewed.



Left side is fine, though. 



Which bolt is for the hinge? One holds the drag cable, the other is for the hinge. Choose wrong and I have to strip the wing to reattach it.




The gaps will be covered by seals when painting is done. 




I thought about moving her out on the ramp and setting everything up, but the stars never aligned for it to happen.No big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment