Friday, February 5, 2016

"Wanna make it better?"

One fine day last year when I was busy swearing at myself and wondering what to do about the compass problem, a museum volunteer named Syd stopped by. I didn't know much about Syd except by an excellent reputation, but discovered that he had been an avionics tech in the Navy, and while I was a teenage Navy brat riding my bike around NAS Alameda dreaming of being a pilot, Syd was somewhere nearby working on the A-3 Whale.

Syd looked over the panel and electrical systems, asking questions and carefully examining our work. I like this... I like this.... I see about the compass problem, that's bad, what are you going to do about it? Ok, good idea... There is absolutely nothing wrong with the job your friend did, he said, it looks real good, and paused. After a moment he looked over his glasses at me with a twinkle in his eye and smiled. Want to make it better?



I hate it when people say that. I love it when people say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment