Thursday, April 23, 2020

Bundle up!

When the hangars on the north side were destroyed last year it gave me a chance to do a bit of salvaging (with the permission of the Port of Skagit). I was hoping these were Baklite enameled metal, but it's only cardboard. Still a cool souviner of the old days when Skagit was Bayview Airport, and some simple rules to live by. 



I've been using the hangar door as a place ot hang notes, with the weather getting better I need to find another method.





I found a made-to-order battery mount for my 680 on eBay, I was still a bit nervous of the strength of the bulkhead, but they all disappeared one I got it mounted. That thing is SOLID.





As usual, it was one of those things I did twice. Mounted it on the front first, then switched it to the back after a d'oh! moment. The stater solenoid will go to the left of the Master solenoid. 



One thing that's frustrated me is telling wires apart, I wish we had used black wires for grounds. Syd loaned me a tool he has that you put a Sharpie in one end and run the wire through the other, marking the wire.



Good in theory, but I found it just as easy to mark it freehand. 



Next project has been to separate each group of wires into section related bundles, so if I need to replace a bad switch or connection, I don't have to pull the entire bundle of wires down.



We're also separating wires for the right side of the panel from those on the left. Should save a couple pounds, and make it easier to repair in the future. Again, tricks learned from decades working on military planes, and electronics since Syd was a kid.





Syd has to work harder when he plays Stump the Chump, but sometimes I know he's pulling his punches.



No comments:

Post a Comment