Saturday, August 7, 2010

It's just a big model airplane... (Yeah, right.)

That's what I kept telling myself, and not to be nervous. The gang on the Tech Site were terrific about reassuring me and I studied the manuals and dry fitted the parts for a few days.


A friend named Einar stopped by one day to check on things and parts started going together.


I decided to start with the stabilizers because they were simple, and cheap to replace if I screwed up. 

The first rivet.


Einar has an extensive mechanical background and having him show up took away a lot of anxiety. I learned a tremendous amount that first day and got off to a good start thanks to him.




 


The first part.

After Einar left I did the other stab by myself.

The only concern I had is that there's a bit of a gap in the fit of the stab ribs. They fit ok, but if the leading or trailing edges are flexed outward the ribs detach. I emailed Kerry and sent some pics, according to him the covering holds it all together.

Gotta have some elevators to go with the stabs. The next day Einar stopped by to help. 




I don't know if it was intentional or not, but again Einar helped with the first one then went home while I stayed to build the second one.



"I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends." -Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment