Saturday, August 31, 2013

Growing feathers

Just like a model, before painting I wanted to test fit as much as I could to find any problems. And because I couldn't wait to see her coming together.



The top hole in the stab mounting plate was misdrilled a little bit too far into the front of the fin leading edge for my taste,




Since I had some scrap 6061T I decided to cut some new pieces. In my original kit the top hole was an AN3 bolt, in the "steampunk update" I was told to drill it out to an AN4. However, the latest assembly manual tells you to ignore the supplied AN4 hole and drill the plate for an AN3. After thinking about it, I decided to stick with an AN3 bolt in my new pieces. I didn't want to weaken the fin leading edge, and figured the combination of other mounting points plus flying/ground wires would brace the surfaces enough.




 
Then there was the debate about where to put the hole. In the original spot, centered, or aft, like in the revision? I probably overthought this, but ended up putting the hole in the location recommended in the new manual, slightly aft in the plate. I won't trim the excess until I fit the fiberglass fin fairing. 



It was time to give her some air. 





She's come a long way....






2 comments:

Russ Hauser said...

Hey Steve,

You guys are doing a fine job on this bird, but I gotta ask a question. In the past I've covered a couple of my planes and helped with others using the Stits System and always used a regular calibrated household iron as recommended for the large area taughtening. The small Top Flite iron was used in areas where the larger iron was unhandy. Did you use the small iron on all the covering? Not criticizing, the covering looks great.

Russ

Steve said...

Hi Russ,

Yes, I used the small iron in all areas. It does go against what the PolyFiber manual teaches, and it loses heat quicker, but it also made me slow down and think about what I was doing (even if it got a bit tedious at times.)

I kept a small IR thermometer handy and kept a close watch on the temp, it tended to lose heat quickly but I compensated by moving slowly.

Post a Comment